What causes dust storms in Austria
Dusty weather : Sahara sand brings foreign microbes to Europe
In February and April 2014, desert storms blew vast amounts of Saharan dust over more than 2500 kilometers as far as Central Europe. In the Alps, the dust settled at heights between 2000 and 3000 meters and colored the snow. Austria alone was powdered with around two million tons of dust. Scientists from Italy and Austria have now found that many foreign bacteria and fungal spores came to Europe with the dust.
Dust as a carrier of bacteria
Tobias Weil's research team from the Edmund Mach Foundation examined a layer of reddish dust several centimeters thick that the storm had deposited in the Dolomites in February 2014. Almost all the microorganisms in the Sahara were found, says Weil.
Dust storms from Africa have long been known to researchers as a natural supplier of mineral fertilizers to the Amazon region in South America or the rainforests of the Caribbean. Microorganisms apparently travel with them. "They are extremely stress-resistant and have thick cell walls," says Weil. "When sand is deposited in summer, the cells are usually thinned again by precipitation, but in winter they accumulate in layers of ice and snow." This could displace native bacterial species - which could increase the health risk for humans, animals and plants. How real the danger is, however, would have to show further investigations, write the researchers in the journal "Microbiome".
Forecast: Increasingly dusty
The German Weather Service registers around 10 to 20 sand inputs from the Sahara to Germany each year. According to the United Nations, dust exports have increased by 25 to 50 percent in the past century due to increased farming and slash and burn on the continent.
(dpa / Matthias Röder)
- Could Pete Sampras have beaten Roger Federer
- What are Norwegian crust crusts
- How many German words are there
- How is the Mi Band HRX Edition
- Why are horses endangered
- What is the flame made of?
- What are mid-tempo music
- What are some of the best collaboration platforms
- What is the rush hour
- How do I enjoy holiday food
- Are modelines useful outside of Vim
- Where can I find scrap iron
- What is an element in transformers
- Why are people buried 6 feet below
- What percentage of atheists are autistic?
- White holes connect with black holes
- Are there Costcos in Canada
- Why are these two sentences different
- What are the benefits of barter
- What does writing reports mean in Hindi
- Will PayPal come to Nepal
- Is the Apple MacBook Air touchscreen
- A pen is a device
- What is your favorite sonata