Some people are born with better hearing
Hypacusis (hearing loss)
Definition: what is hearing loss?
We speak of hypacusis (or hearing loss) when hearing loss occurs. The definition of hypacusis is hearing loss. But it can express itself in different ways:
- due to a loss of volume
- through a loss of understanding
If conversations or noises are quieter than before, then it could be a loss of volume, with the sound in the ear being weakened. This is due to a faulty or severely weakened transmission of the sound. Possible causes are e.g. B. excess ear wax, fluid in the ear or infections in the ear, but also a tear in the eardrum can be responsible.
Noises and conversations are difficult to understand? Then there could be a loss of understanding. It is often triggered by damage to the hair cells of the ear. Heredity, long-term exposure to noise, or certain medications are other factors that promote hypacusis. Various diseases such as B. meningitis promote hearing loss. Fortunately, there are many ways to make up for hearing loss.
Where does hearing loss begin?
To assess when one is hard of hearing, pitch and volume are examined more closely. The hearing threshold, i.e. the perception limit of a hearing impression, is determined via these two units. A hearing loss of up to 20 decibels, based on the hearing threshold, is still in the range of normal hearing. From a hearing loss of 25 to 20 decibels, there is a mild hearing loss, the first stage of hearing loss.
What types of hearing loss are there?
To determine the degree of hearing loss, it is classified into the four levels of hearing loss. In addition, the medical professional and the hearing care professional use various criteria to differentiate between the type of hearing loss:
Inner ear hearing loss: It affects the sensitivity of the ear to sound; parts of the inner ear are damaged or functions are impaired.
Conductive hearing loss: Here, the sound arriving via the eardrum is not properly transmitted from the middle ear to the inner ear.
Old age hearing loss: It develops from a slowly progressive sensorineural hearing loss and affects both ears. Tinnitus is often associated with old-age hearing loss.
Hearing impairment in children: It should be treated as early as possible in children, for example to prevent language problems.
Hypacusis: possible causes
Medication, alcohol and smoking
Hypacusis: Recognizing Symptoms
How can you recognize the first symptoms of hypacusis in yourself (or people around you)? By paying attention. For example, look out for the following signs:
- You have to ask more often in conversation because you did not understand what was said.
- Conversations behind you or further away can be difficult to follow.
- You often need to step closer to the person you are speaking to or bend over to understand what is being said.
- You have the feeling that the television or radio is set too low, while others perceive the volume as normal.
- You often have the impression that people around you are speaking indistinctly.
- It is difficult for you to follow when several people are talking.
These are symptoms of hearing loss, some of which you can see in yourself. Other signs are more likely to be noticed by your counterpart, for example:
- You often appear restless in conversation.
- You give inappropriate answers to questions.
- You speak louder than the person you are speaking to.
Do you have the impression that one or more of the signs apply to you or someone around you? A hearing test provides clarity. Make an appointment with your Amplifon hearing aid acoustician right away.
Hypacusis: treatment options
Some hearing problems are easy to fix. If the ear is clogged with wax, the ENT doctor will blow the ear canal free with a suction device. Sometimes even warm water is enough. Better leave that to the specialist. Do not try using cotton swabs: this can injure you and make the wax more solid.
If a bacterial infection is the cause, the ear doctor will prescribe antibiotics, for example decongestant medication for swelling of the inner ear. If the eardrum is injured or the stapes in the ear do not work properly, the specialist can insert a prosthesis.
The hearing loss is already clearly noticeable and is probably due to age or noise? Then a high-performance hearing aid is the method of choice. These innovative, almost invisible models effortlessly compensate for hearing impairments. The new generation of hearing aids are intelligent high-tech systems that can be connected to a hi-fi system, television or smartphone or even controlled via an app. This provides a completely new listening experience for those with hearing loss. Our hearing aids: a help against hypacusis. Your Amplifon hearing care professional will be happy to advise you.
Can you operate on hearing loss?
When do I need a hearing aid?
Prevent hearing loss
Is hearing loss a disability?
- Are test reports from SRL Diagnostics reliable
- Can we program on gaming laptops?
- Fight Syria against the world
- What sunk the Maine
- What are the poems of rhythm
- Do you track your sleep every night
- What is the cleanest burning candle
- Which surveillance cameras are the best
- Are you afraid to accept your death?
- How does health affect child development
- Why do retirees prefer VRBO over Airbnb
- What is 5 5 million in Bitcoin
- Intelligence could be increased
- What kind of notifications do people prefer
- Was Super Bowl LIII a good game
- Would UF challenge me academically and get involved?
- What is normal humanity
- What are the roots of Semba music
- Who is the real winner of life
- How do I install Avast
- Is it worth joining the special forces
- When did Coca Cola Zero come out?
- How do you concede in the MTG Arena
- How do you know you're screwed