What do people believe is linguistics
linguisticsHello! Hello! ¡Hola!
There are around 7000 languages worldwide. But what for? And why do you speak a different language in every village in some places? We asked a linguist.
There are around 7000 languages worldwide - my God, how complicated! Foreign words and sounds everywhere. And how laboriously we gesticulate through distant countries when English is not spoken. We think. Linguist Johann-Mattis List sees it differently. He loves language and languages, of course. And he explores them. He says: Most people speak several languages.
"In the world, multilingualism is more the rule than the exception: in most cases, people simply speak two, three, four different languages. If you learn this early enough, it is not a problem to communicate with it."
But it is important that we have a language in which we can speak to one another - in addition to the language that we speak in our country, village or in our group.
Vanuatu - incredible language diversity
This is also how it works on the island of Malakula. It is located in the South Pacific and belongs to the island area of Vanuatu. The linguists from the Max Planck Institute conduct field research on the island, as there are 36 languages and around 20,000 inhabitants. "So far nowhere else in the world have we been able to document so many languages in such a small space."
"If we research that carefully, we may find one or more factors that drive language development, language diversification."
On Malakula, the islanders know the language of their village and their surroundings. But they have an additional one where they can talk to people who come from far away.
Around 7000 languages worldwide
All over the world there are regions where there is a great variety of languages, says Johann-Mattis List - in the Amazon region, for example. But there are also regions in which the diversity is less: in all of Russia, for example, there are "only" around 100 different languages.
Over time, English has become the world's number one lingua franca. Spanish and French are also world languages in which one can now communicate far beyond their actual language area.
In the course of history, politics or religion have always played a role in the spread of languages: "Colonialism has led to the Indo-European languages being very high in Europe," says Johann-Mattis List. Conversely, in remote mountain regions, archaic forms of language have survived for a longer time because they were less able to mix with other people and other languages there.
"The mother tongue is something special, for personal communication and maybe also for poetry and things like that."
As a linguist at the Max Planck Institute for the History of Man, Johann-Mattis List and his colleagues try to keep in touch with linguists all over the world - in order to find answers to the big questions in linguistics. "Most of the languages in the world are still completely undocumented," he says. All data is therefore digitized in Jena and brought into a uniform format.
And there are always new discoveries in field research: The number of documented languages is slowly growing. Around 120 languages are now recorded across Vanuatu. Some time ago the number was 106.
More on the subject:
- Political science is a true science
- What makes anchovies salty
- How much can I earn with Infolinks
- Classical pianists focus on reading pictures
- Trump plays 15-dimensional chess
- Well worth the latest MacBook Air
- Quantum physics refutes causality
- What is green cement
- What is NFV orchestration
- What famous mathematicians were inspired by God
- How do I pause a Fiverr gig
- What are the unwritten Indian social rules
- Who is, was Facebook's strangest employee
- Why are technical lectures so boring
- Can journalism be self-taught
- Which phone should I buy under 9k
- Physical education is just for class
- How is the annual weather in Maui
- Why do relatives talk behind our backs?
- What are some interesting facts about Airbnb
- Name important types of waste disposal
- Are all EU members developed
- Civil engineering is advisable
- What inspires an INTP most