Why do things get complicated
Strategies: Why everything is getting more and more complicated
When people want to improve things, they prefer to add things - even if removing components of the system would be more effective. In fact, many people don't even see the latter option, reports a working group headed by Leidy Klotz from the University of Virginia in the journal Nature. The team came to this conclusion on the basis of eight experiments in which the test subjects were asked to improve a set-up by adding or removing components. The superstructures were designed in such a way that removing them was cheaper in one way or another - either because additional parts cost money that was deducted from the reward for the task completed, or because adding was the much more complex solution. Nevertheless, the "additive" suggestions predominated in all test setups.
However, there was no conscious decision behind this, reports Klotz's team - apparently the test subjects simply overlooked the "subtractive" suggestions. Because if the working group presented the experimental setups in such a way that taking things away was explicitly or implicitly an option, a significantly larger proportion used this variant in all experiments. Why this is so is still open; likewise, whether this tendency is global or only applies to the countries of origin of the persons examined - the USA, Japan and Germany.
This article is featured in Spectrum - The Week, 15/2021
In any case, the team assumes that this one-sided way of problem-solving has on the one hand proven itself - on the other hand, it does a lot to make our everyday life more and more complex. "It is quite possible that the strategy of falling back on an additive search will help your users in everyday life," writes the team in the publication. The tendency to overlook subtractive solutions, however, presumably contributes to a number of negative trends. This included increasingly tight schedules and growing bureaucracy in companies and authorities.
- Do you feel close to your friends?
- What are the best free affiliate training courses
- What are ferrous metals
- Why do educational technology startups fail
- Which phones support augmented reality?
- How was the 1st day of the RNC 2016
- How do I get good at Fortnite
- Which countries support Free Basics Internet org
- How do I pause a Fiverr gig
- What is the relationship between pylons and pyramid
- Why are horses endangered
- What is machine learning and its concept
- What are some good hardcore digital bands
- How can you lose our weight
- What does functionality mean
- Which phone should I buy under 9k
- Name the hottest region in the world
- Why is Nepal so cheap
- How does a PUBG company make money
- An office manager is a secretarial job
- Cooking foil can be recycled
- Do you wish you were here
- What are bloatware apps
- Why are popular songs usually terrible
- What makes a bad historical novel
- What's your name 1
- Which industry should I address for blogging?
- Difference Between a Good Doctor and a Good Doctor
- How can you fix chaos
- Was Lenin a hero or a villain?
- What is the purpose of the printf statement
- Can I visit Dubai while in transit?
- What are the benefits of geothermal energy
- Home Credit India is a scam company