How quickly money trees grow
Money tree, Crassula ovata - care, cutting and propagation
The money tree belongs to the thick-leaf family, develops in the shape of a bush or tree and can reach a height of over two meters. We cultivate it as a houseplant, but it can easily spend the summer outdoors. The characteristic thick leaves come in different shapes and colors, depending on the variety. The typical growth form is usually retained and is the same for all money trees. Blossoming specimens look particularly beautiful. Crassula ovata is easy to care for, robust and also suitable for beginners. You can find out everything you need to know about the money tree here.
- Originally from East or South Africa
- Succulent plant with water-storing properties
- Numerous different varieties
- Upright, rounded, thick-stemmed, heavily branched and evergreen shrub
- Always oppositely arranged leaves
- Flowers with a slightly sweet scent, pink or white
- African peoples have used the roots for food.
- The leaves were used in folk medicine.
- Does not tolerate frost and cold temperatures
- Symbolism - as a traditional gift for loved ones who are wished for a life without financial worries.
The money tree is quite robust and easy to care for. The only thing that troubles him is too much water and low temperatures. Otherwise it is frugal, grows and thrives without much attention and usually develops into a strong sapling. For a beautiful shape, a money tree can be cut, practically brought into shape. Separated shoots can be used for propagation straight away. The only thing you have to be careful with is pests. Mealybugs love succulents, and the money tree is no exception. Pay particular attention to pest infestation during the winter, especially if the conditions are not ideal.
Succulents generally like it very bright and sunny. The money tree is no exception. A warm location is also crucial. If there is too little light, the plants grow unevenly, become bulky and lose their beautiful green color. They look faded. In order to get even light from all sides, it is advisable to turn the tree a little from time to time, otherwise it will grow in one direction and not develop evenly.
- Very bright location
- Can also tolerate full sunlight if they are not too close to the glass of the window
- Can also be taken outside in summer, but then you have to get used to the sun slowly, otherwise the leaves will burn.
- Later, the plants will do well in full sun.
- However, they should be protected from rain. It is best to have a money tree under a roof overhang or on a covered terrace.
- Lower temperatures are recommended in winter.
- However, they should not fall below 7 ° C.
Plant substrate and planter
- The most important thing is a very permeable plant substrate. A mixture of compost and sharp sand is ideal. Under no circumstances should it contain too many nutrients! A barren earth is much more suitable.
- Mix two parts of compost and one part of sharp sand or perlite
- Alternatively, cactus soil is also suitable, but is not quite as ideal.
- Build a drainage in the bottom of the planter.
- Pottery shards work well, but coarse pebbles are even better.
- The money tree grows quite quickly and should therefore be repotted every two to three years. New substrate must be used for this.
- Repotting takes place in spring.
Watering and fertilizing
The money tree doesn't need a lot of water. If it gets some, it stores a large part of it in its leaves and is thus prepared for drought. Succulent plants do much better without water than if they are watered too much. Root rot threatens quickly and the plants die.
- Water regularly during the main growing season, about once a week, but moderately.
- The soil should dry well between waterings, but not completely dry out.
- It is enough if the soil is moist after watering. It shouldn't be wet.
- Water significantly less from mid-August, the soil can be almost completely dry.
- Very little fertilizer is needed.
- Fertilization is only used during the main growing season and only every four weeks and in a reduced concentration.
- Do not fertilize under any circumstances during the rest period from November to the end of February!
- A money tree doesn't actually have to be cut. But if it should ever be necessary, it is entirely possible. This is usually the case when the plants do not grow evenly, i.e. they need to be brought into shape or when they are decaying, i.e. the shoots are long and thin and instead of standing upright, overhang slightly. Often they break off in an uncontrolled manner. That should be avoided. Otherwise, the purpose of the cut is to make the entire plant stronger and more compact.
- The best time to cut is right after flowering, otherwise any flower roots will be cut away with.
- Tear off all shoots that grow downwards.
- The whole point is to build a really strong trunk.
- You should cut so that no stubs remain and the cut surfaces are so that they do not catch the eye.
- In addition, a crown was to be created.
- Shoots can also be tied in order to get them into the desired shape.
- It doesn't take long before the branches grow in the specified direction and the bracket can be removed again.
- After cutting, the plants usually sprout very strongly. In order for them to grow densely, it is advisable to then cut them again. It is usually enough to cut in the next spring.
Wintering the money tree
If you want to make your money tree bloom, you have to hibernate it properly. This includes almost stopping watering from mid-August. The tree is lightly watered a maximum of once a month so that the root ball does not dry out completely. At the same time, temperatures should be lowered, which is usually only possible from the middle of September. The cooler night temperatures are ideal for stimulating flowering. At temperatures around 10 ° C, the money tree should be cleared and taken to winter quarters. This should be as light as possible, at temperatures between 10 and 15 ° C. Watering continues to be sparse until around the end of February. There is no fertilization at all. Then you can slowly increase the watering until you start watering weekly again from May.
Propagation is quite easy. The leaves are used for propagation, i.e. leaf cuttings. Alternatively, it can also be propagated by cuttings from the head. The best time for the money tree to multiply is in spring.
- You simply remove a sheet, cut it off as smoothly as possible and let the interface dry briefly.
- Then the sheet is simply inserted into an appropriate substrate.
- The vessel is placed warm and bright, but not in the blazing sun.
- Roots form very quickly.
- Cut off a shoot smoothly.
- Let the interface dry for two to three days.
- Stuck in the ground.
- Also place warm and bright, but without direct sun.
- Alternatively, a cutting can also take root in a glass of water.
Diseases and pests
The money tree is actually robust and healthy. Of course, it can also be attacked by diseases and pests. It is therefore important to check the plant regularly and recognize the first signs. Early countermeasures protect the plants from major damage.
- Mealybugs - recognized by waxy threads, honeydew, and white webs on the underside of leaves and sprouts. Collecting helps here, but this is usually not enough. Insecticides help, but often also weaken the plants.
- Aphids - occur especially in summer when standing outdoors. The infestation can be recognized by the honeydew, galls or curled leaves. Aphids are easy to rinse off. Otherwise, an insecticide can be used. As an alternative parasitic wasps can be used.
- Fungal diseases - usually recognized by spots on the leaves. The spots are more rounded, with a zone in which the fruiting bodies can be seen. Remove infected parts and also use a fungicide to combat the fungi.
- Bacterial diseases - also recognizable by leaf spots. However, these are usually more angular and outlined in yellow. Cut out the infected parts here as well.
- Powdery mildew - a white powdery coating on the plant, mainly on the leaves. Remove infected parts and use a fungicide. Good ventilation is a preventive measure.
- Downy mildew - white clumps or white coating on the underside of the leaves. How to treat powdery mildew.
Frequently asked questions
How is the flowering of the money tree stimulated?
In order to stimulate flowering, watering is almost completely stopped from mid-August. It is enough to add a little water once a month. It is important to lower the temperature, to around 15 ° C. This works best when the money tree is in the open air. The cooler night temperatures are usually sufficient to produce the bloom. Flowers often only appear in autumn or over winter, but sometimes not until late spring or early summer.
My money tree is losing leaves. What can be the reason?
The leaf fall can have various causes. If the tree loses a leaf every now and then, it is normal, not tragic. However, if numerous leaves fall off over a long period of time, research into the cause is required.
- Temperatures too low
- Lack of light
As soon as the cause is found, countermeasures can be initiated. If there is waterlogging, you can try to save the plant by repotting it. The substrate then has to be kept significantly drier.
Can a money tree that has rot in the shoots due to too much water be saved?
If the rot is detected in good time, a large part of the plant can be saved by pruning back into the healthy tissue. But you have to cut back piece by piece until only healthy tissue can be seen again. Shoot by shoot must be cut like this. It is also advisable to repot and cut the rotten roots. It is important to pour significantly less afterwards.
- Are there bulletproof backpacks for children
- What does junk mean in slang
- Why do I miss being single sometimes
- Who is involved in our shadow government
- Are soulmates meant to be together
- What is a good mile time
- Is loyalty dead in modern football?
- Why does Tom Cruise look so good
- Why is factory farming considered good
- Natural honey has an expiration date
- Is emergo pt legitimate 1
- What is the future after cracking JRF
- What's so great about Greta Van Fleet
- How do I use Weeslim
- What does Siri cost per month
- Did the Third Reich do something right?
- Money makes you lonely
- How can I aggregate cloud storage
- Why don't people believe a braggart
- Why does sulfur react with oxygen
- What is your favorite business buzzword
- What are the top 10 most used websites
- Aggression can arise from confusion
- Why do Nigerians seek international love
- How can I have tarot read?
- How is cloud computing helpful
- Is the term cisgender sexist
- One bill can die in a subcommittee
- What is Adhiraj code name capital
- What does frequencies mean in Sanskrit
- Are all EU members developed
- Can a cell phone number be kept secret?
- Who introduced leather coins in India