How do I improve my spelling 3
How To Improve Your Spelling!
If you are struggling with spelling, you are not alone. The upper and lower case, the hyphenation and compound case, the comma etc. cause difficulties for many people.
Some of them complain that they didn't learn to spell properly in school and leave it at that (which can have consequences for their professional life or career, but more on that another time).
Others, on the other hand, would like to take action and fill the gaps, but don't know exactly how to do this. If you belong to this second group, today's blog article is for you. Read here how to improve your spelling!
The impetus for the article, which I am writing in a duet with the author, coach and graduate social pedagogue Christian Müller from Sozial-PR (see his tip below), came from the contribution by Hannah Bethke in the FAZ "Students can no longer spell" .
Seven tips on how to improve your spelling
1. Use a dictionary
If you are unsure whether you have spelled a word correctly, do not rely on the spell check in Word, but look it up in a dictionary, for example in Duden. If you are looking for advice on the Internet, make sure the site you are researching is reliable. For example, the Duden Verlag website or Julian von Heyl's spelling portal are recommended.
2. Read the 169 rules of spelling
For enthusiasts: work through the 169 spelling rules that you can find on the Duden Verlag website. But be careful: do not click more than two or three rules per day, this is the only way to memorize the rules.
3. Find someone who will practice with you on a regular basis
I am thinking of German tutoring or a spelling trainer. This variant has the advantage that you have someone at your side who is specifically tailored to your needs.
3. Learn with exercise books
Get practice materials from bookstores and work with them. These can also be exercise materials for schoolchildren. You will find a particularly large selection at Duden Verlag. By the way, I didn't run to advertise Duden, but the products are really very good!
4. Work with an editor
Let a professional proofread your texts and look up what they have corrected. Learning by doing is a good way to deepen your own knowledge, especially when it comes to spelling.
Reading a lot also helps. Someone who likes to read and therefore reads a lot receives not only the content they are primarily interested in but also the correct spelling free of charge.
6. Write regularly
Write as much as possible, write regularly. There are enough occasions. If you would like to start with a diary and also want to use the diary as a medium for reflection, I can recommend Ralf Senftleben's online course (costs: 59 euros). Students could also take a look at Ulrike Scheuermann's book Writing Thinking.
7. Start a blog
Don't just write privately for yourself, write for a specific audience in public. A particularly good exercise (also for students) is your own blog. This is the subject of the article by my blog duet partner Christian Müller. Look inside!
Share this article:
You might also be interested in:
The comma in lists
What does your "finished" text look like?
How fast do you write
Shutterstock.com: Image number:177866579, Copyright: Vinne
- Why does the DMV no longer build DMVs
- How do you sing with your soul
- Freebase is still being improved
- Are proverbs part of the Jewish studies
- Why is there air conditioning in ATMs
- What does the activation of interest costs mean
- How to encourage them
- Which states forbid prisons for profit
- How do I scrub a dirt bike
- Are alligators scary
- What are archive recordings
- Where can I find a good clothing manufacturer
- Who is Tiki Barber
- Use professional cooks Thermomix
- Admire serial killers
- Why do dogs cry in the afternoon
- Is Josh Allen better than Deshaun Watson
- What is the Russian word for how?
- The clairvoyants believe themselves
- What is a router for short
- Existentialism Why am I asking this question
- Do women have rights in Saudi Arabia
- What is the point of sleeping
- What does aging mean in sociology
- How do I stop wanting friendship
- Why did Yahoo Astrid shut down
- Smoking kills sperm count
- How can I get reliable references
- Is Hitfilm a good video editor
- Is subliminal messaging legal in marketing
- An empath can learn to be selfish
- What are the best fashion-related newsletters
- What Are Some Classification Metrics Rules Of Thumb
- What are the general rules of probability