Are diphthongs vowels
What is a diphthong?
A diphthong is a double sound (also twilight, two-sound etc.) in which, phonetically speaking, two vowels (vowels) merge into one sound and thus belong to one syllable.
|diphthong||Example (separation according to spoken syllables)|
|ouch||Aus-ter, Bau-er, Baum|
|ai||Hain, Sai-te, orphan|
|egg||Celebrate, travel, shine|
|uh||Mooring, buildings, buyers|
|eu||Fire, friends, people|
* mostly classified as a dialect
Especially in southern Germany (mainly in Bavarian) there are additional diphthongs that do not exist in standard German.
Foreign language diphtongs in German
In German there are both original (and partly also extinct) and imported diphthongs that occur exclusively in foreign words. However, their number is so large, and of course they are still productive, that they evade a systematic approach.
In addition, the pronunciation follows the pronunciation in the country of origin, so a systematics is hardly possible in this regard.
|ai||Brumaire, weakness, mail, portrait, trainer|
|eu||Euphoria, exporter, feature section|
|ui||Sponge cake, grapefruit, guillotine|
Some long sounds change into double sounds, but have no graphic equivalent (bear, sea, clock, only), but are at most supplemented by stretching sounds. In spoken language they can be understood as diphthongs.
Diphthong vs. Hiat
The hiat is to be distinguished from the diphthong, in which two consecutive vowels do not merge and consequently each belong to a separate syllable. The distinction is not made on the basis of the graphemes, but requires lexical knowledge.
Examples of hiate:
Diphthongs and Spelling
While a hiat can be separated without any problems (see examples above), this is not allowed with the diphthong, since it belongs to a syllable.
Furthermore, diphthongs cannot follow ck, no tz and no identical double consonants (mm, nn, ss etc.), since these appear after short sounds, but the vowel quantity of the diphthongs corresponds to that of long sounds.
At this point, only a rough and also simplified overview of diphthongs has been deliberately given. Anyone who wants to or has to deal with the topic in more detail will find an exhaustive treatise in the inexpensive one Linguistics. An introduction. by Heidrun Pelz.
- How are the IB schools in Pune
- Why is LGBT the acronym
- What is the future of the digital marketer
- Why should I use the B612 camera app?
- What is the dogma controversy
- Why are some statistical facts wrong?
- Why does nothing mean nothing
- What winter flowers do you recommend
- What is Pre Partum and Post Partum
- Why are separations not easy for Indians?
- How are racial differences constructed socially
- Which DC superhero is the most perverted
- Why is the Quora app not easy to use
- Skyscrapers help treat urban overpopulation
- Why don't people believe a braggart
- How do I throw ceramics
- Is fistfight ever okay
- What is the smartest lyrics
- Why are right-wing politicians so articulated
- Traps insects under Kingdom Animalia
- What is a sustainably produced fish
- No molecules live or live
- What is a good SEM blog
- Does energy management have any scope in the US?