Dissolves cooking oil in water
Experiment: The journey of the paint drop
What is happening:
Oil and water do not mix. The oil floats on the water. The drop of food coloring sinks down in the oil layer and does not mix with the oil either. It stays on the boundary between water and oil for a while until it breaks through. Then the food coloring mixes with the water and colors the water.
Oil has a lower density than water, i.e. 100ml oil weighs less than 100ml water. That is why the oil floats on the water. In addition, these two liquid kites cannot be mixed, because basically only the same can be mixed with the same. The smallest particles (molecules) of water and oil look different. Food coloring (water-based) consists mainly of water, which logically means that it mixes with water but not with oil.
If you now drip the paint into the oil, it tries to differentiate itself from the oil. The water (the water-based food coloring) minimizes its surface area so that it has as few points of contact with the oil as possible. The smallest surface area, compared to its volume, has the shape of a sphere. Therefore, as long as the drop of food coloring remains in the oil, it will form a ball. If it breaks through (due to its weight - see above: water, also food coloring, has a greater density than oil), the opposite happens, the ball dissolves and the food coloring is distributed in the water.
- Are beats worth the big price
- Is there any night life in Indore
- Should China still negotiate with Trump
- Where should I visit in Iran
- Will you run a three minute mile?
- How can you go backwards
- Is Simon Cowell known in France
- Why was the traffic light invented
- How can I get wrinkles inside my eyes
- How popular is the actor Ali Fazal
- Is there a cosmetic ear surgery
- Is marijuana free in California
- What are your tricks to life
- How's the weather in Fredericton
- Why does Upwork keep rejecting my profile
- Is the BSC law a good choice
- How good is the tailgate at Stanford
- Does Mars have a blue sky?
- Are stamps a form of tax?
- Who were Itachi's teammates
- Which is the best shotgun
- What is the plural of potassium bicarbonate
- Japan becomes a dangerous country
- Positioning of images in HTML and CSS