Is Greenpeace involved in terrorism
Greenpeace 2003: War and terrorism overshadow successes in environmental protection
22.12.2003 – 11:42
Hamburg, December 22nd, 2003 - 2003 was a difficult year worldwide due to war and terror. Greenpeace took part in protests against the war and set an example around the world with actions - such as at the Brandenburg Gate under the motto "Old Europe says: No War". The successes in environmental protection were overshadowed by war and terror. With the help of global campaigns, 3.1 million hectares of the last primeval forests in Russia, Brazil and Papua New Guinea, among others, have been placed under protection and saved. This means that an area about the size of Belgium is initially protected from overexploitation. There were also successes in the resistance to genetic engineering in agriculture and in food. After Greenpeace activities, the genetic engineering group Syngenta refrains from sowing genetically manipulated wheat in Thuringia and Germany's largest retail chain, the Metro Group, does without genetic engineering in its own brands.
"We are pleased that the retail giant Metro has also said goodbye to its GM-friendly position," says Brigitte Behrens, Greenpeace Managing Director. “Greenpeace works together with consumers on behalf of consumers against genetically manipulated food. A great success was achieved and the trade was diverted. "
In the coming year 2004, the environmental protection organization will focus on the topics of genetic engineering and energy. With the new labeling requirement for GM foods in the EU, consumers will recognize these "food mutants" on supermarket shelves from April and will be able to decide not to buy them. In addition, Germany will host the International Conference on the Promotion of Renewable Energies in June, which Federal Chancellor Schröder suggested at the Environment Summit in Johannesburg.
“The red-green federal government does not pursue a consistent concept for an ecological restructuring of the energy economy,” says Brigitte Behrens, “when Economics Minister Clement drives a campaign against wind power and for hard coal and Foreign Minister Fischer sells the Hanau plutonium factory to China. The federal government also remains passive when it comes to transport policy. Diesel soot filters, which can prevent deaths from cancer, are still not compulsory for all vehicles, old and new. "
Although the Germans are exposed to economic uncertainty, the sponsors remain loyal to Greenpeace. Income in 2003 is expected to be at the level of the previous year (2002: 38.8 million euros). In addition to national campaigns, Greenpeace can also continue to support international campaigns, e.g. to save the Amazon rainforests or to address environmental problems in China, India and Southeast Asia. After the tax office in Hamburg had checked the non-profit status of Greenpeace e.V. as part of a tax audit since December 2001 and thus questioned the exemption from corporation tax, the organization now received the message that Greenpeace is still exempt from tax. The fact that the examination dragged on for an unusually long period of two years was probably triggered by public statements by some interior ministers who, following the protests against Castor transports in 2001, spoke out in favor of withdrawing the non-profit status of organizations “like Greenpeace”.
Attention editorial offices: If you have any questions, please contact the Head of Communication Fouad Hamdan on 0171-8780 826 or press spokesman Björn Jettka on 040-30618-383. Internet: www.greenpeace.de
ots original text: Greenpeace e.V.
Digital press kit:
Original content from: Greenpeace e.V., transmitted by news aktuell
- Which K-pop idols get scared easily
- How often does Canon release new cameras
- Why is formaldehyde sometimes called formol
- What moral values does boxing teach?
- What is the economic inequality like in the US
- Is Cambridge better than Harvard
- Is luck good for productivity
- How should beer bills be split?
- What's your worst experience on Google
- Why are LG phones considered audiophile
- If a wireless antenna works with high gain
- What is a placebo in medicine
- What are ping submissions
- Why are most carnival ship captains Italian
- What was the most difficult topic for you
- How effective is safety theater
- What is root pressure
- Who is your favorite nihilist
- How do you feel about intraday trading?
- Eating eagles crocodiles
- What is a multi-touch attribution model
- Will Lunyr be as big as Bitcoin?
- Where do fusion reactions take place
- What are the characteristics of startups
- Should the moderators of the presidential debate check the facts
- What were the best inventions of 2018
- How do you choose freight software
- Is ethylene bifunctional
- How do authors write a math book
- What are the two satellites of Mars
- In what year will the sun expand?
- 3D hologram tech is possible
- What does phase equilibrium mean